Crow's Feet

It has been very quiet recently - both the Dwarf and the Boss have been unavailable - somewhere between “missing” and just “no visibly around” - and so we have been pretty much left to our own devices.

I met a new recruit named Sebbi.  I was going to say “so young to have such a hard edge” but then I think he may be older than I am.  I can’t say with exact knowledge how old I am, really - when I arrived in Stormwind all I had was that signet ring around my neck.  I know my parents worked for the Baron of Silverpine, and I know that they were killed when Arugal took Pyrewood and Silverlaine Keep - now called Shadowfang, and infested with Worgen.

I do know that I still wake up screaming, the bloodshot-red eyes and fetid breath of the wolf bipeds hunting for me in the darkness.  I remember the kindness of Lord Mayor Morrison as he sent me away to the Gilneas Wall, although I don’t6 remember why; I would not discover that they had been cursed to transform into beasts themselves until much later.

I am not sure why I was spared that curse.

I do know that I went to Southshore, where I was sent to the orphanage at Stormwind, but all I had was the signet ring of the Silverlaines around a leather thing around my neck, a sign of my family’s service to the Baron.

In any case, the Boss returned last night and offered me and Serea a promotion from being Blackbird associates to being Crows - which is to say, being part of the inner family. Like an idiot, instead of grabbing it with both hands I told the Boss of my loyalty to Elling Trias.  Granted, he already knew - I’ve made no secret of it - but I am uneasy having two oaths of loyalty, even though Aubey says he wants to keep Trias as an ally.  So, really, there is no reason not to accept… and if there is a conflict later, well… we’ll poison that bridge when we come to it, I suppose.

I have the sneaking suspicion that Aubey knows that I’ve been training at Ravenholdt so that Trias can loan me to Theramore.  I’ve already done some small things for Captain Garran Vimes, so I can see why they need a secret service - he’s very straightforward and honest.  Total victim for people who don’t play by the rules.  They need someone who can operate in Shadows, unknown and untraceable.

Someone like me.  If I fail, nothing of value was lost, just another disposable street rat from Stormwind.

Comments